January 15, 2013

A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano


Title:  A Change of Fortune
Author: Jen Turano
Genre: Historical Fiction
Type: Trade Paperback
ISBN: 9780764210181
Source: Received from Bethany House for a fair and honest review.
Published: November 1, 2012
Synopsis: Lady Eliza Sumner is on a mission. After losing her family, her fiance, and her faith, the disappearance of her fortune is the last straw. Now, masquerading as Miss Eliza Sumner, governess-at-large, she's determined to find the man who ran off with her fortune, reclaim the money, and head straight back to London. Much to Mr. Hamilton Beckett's chagrin, all the eyes of New York society--all the female ones, at least--are on him. Unfortunately for all the matchmaking mothers and eligible daughters, he has no plans to marry again, especially with his hands full keeping his business afloat and raising his two children alone. When Eliza's hapless attempts to regain her fortune put her right in Hamilton's path, sparks instantly begin to fly. The discovery of a common nemesis causes them to join forces, but with all their plans falling by the wayside and their enemies getting the better of them, it will take a riot of complications for Hamilton and Eliza to realize that God just might have had a better plan in mind all along.
What I liked: I liked how it read quickly for me and it was full of fun and engaging characters.
What I didn’t like: That you have to wait for the rest of the series.
Overall Impression: Jen Turano is a new author and I can say that I will be reading more of her books in the future.  I enjoy reading the story from both Eliza’s and Hamilton’s points of view. To me this seemed to make the book read a little faster. If you are looking for a funny fast read with a little suspense thrown in then this is the book for you. I liked how Eliza who was a “Lady” took it upon herself to investigate who stole her inheritance and went to go find them.  Along the way Eliza meets Agatha who becomes her partner in crime. I can’t imagine going from being a Lady to a Nanny and in a new country to boot. After Eliza meets Hamilton they decide to work together as they are looking for the same enemy.  You will also see how they grow closer to each other while on their “journey”.  I know a few of the people we have met along the way will be in the future books in The Lady of Distinction Series.  4 Stars for me. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks!

    This book looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete